Sunday, April 17, 2016

Top Three Literary Works

Since I feel compelled to center a whole blog around the concept of literature, I thought it would be fun to park here a moment and take a deeper look at its value and functionality.

Literature, commonly known as literary works, is quite “literally” seen all around us. From dissertations to directories, to textbooks and tracts, it can be difficult avoiding words and the messages they carry. I dare say that literature keeps the fabric of our society together. (We won’t go into the condition of such a fabric. All of that should probably be saved for a different blog altogether.)

The top three literary works readers are most familiar with fall into three categories: fiction, non-fiction and poetry. While non-fiction seeks to educate, and fiction strives to entertain, poetry digs deep into a reader’s experiences and extracts beauty from something that otherwise may have gone unnoticed.

Literature tapped me on the shoulder at an early age. My response at the time didn’t involve more than a shrug, but I believe the image made a lasting impression. I have memories of my mother curled up on the couch in the middle of the afternoon with her nose tucked into a book. The afternoon sun warmed her shoulders and shrouded her with a happy glow. Sounds of pretzel munching and slow sips of Dr. Pepper meant all was well with the world. If memory serves me right, we would have just left the library with a trunk full of paperbacks. Going to the library, I discovered, was as necessary as a trip to the meat market. Yes, we used to buy our meat from a separate store. I’m probably giving my age away with that comment, but why try and butcher it now?

My mother would always be ready to trade a towering stack of novels in for a new one the following week. Her spelling and grammar skills were, and still are, impeccable. I attribute that to all of the carbohydrates and the words she devoured by the handfuls.

I like to believe this memory has a lot to do with the writer I am today. Of the writing exercises I’ve experimented with so far, creative writing has been my favorite way to find expression. I can’t help but wonder if it has something to do with those mid-week errands into town so that my mother could get lost in her next novel.

What about you? Which of the three literary works is your favorite? And was a love for literature modeled for you at an early age?





4 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne, When was young, I didn't read all that much. I dreaded when in Sunday school the class would go around, each of us reading a small part of the bible lesson. I could feel my heart pounding when they were getting close to my turn! As an adult, I like reading both fiction and non fiction. I took a poetry class once and enjoyed it very much. It was mostly reading and interpreting poetry. I had a difficult time finding the words to describe how a piece effected/ moved me. I knew it made me feel something but couldn't say what? Then someone else would describe their feelings and I'd be thinking, "Yes! That's it!" I have always marveled at people's ability to express themselves, whether in words or art or music. I am enjoying reading your blog because I do enjoy words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, I can relate to feeling nervous about reading in front of people. I was very shy as a child and to be called out that way was torture for me! Poetry is fascinating, isn't it? I've recently acquired a taste for it after Bill Myers highly recommended it when I visited with him at Mount Hermon last year. I've since subscribed to a magazine called, "Poetry." It's been a wonderful addition to my reading repertoire. Thanks for commenting today. I'll be posting each week so I hope you'll keep coming back. By the way, if you're interested in reading a novella with beautiful expression, "When the Last Leaf Falls," by Bill Myers is incredible.

      Delete
  2. I have always loved to read fiction. I enjoy reading alone, to my children, and even with others in a book club. I have fond memories of my mother reading to us kids on road trips and just before bedtime. I also remember my father loved to study the Bible and would quote scriptures to us that always seemed to fit just right for the day. I believe that it definately has had a huge influence on my life by seeing both of them take the time to instill the importance of reading, sharing, and studying. I continue the keep the same tradition with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria, you've always modeled the importance of this long before I ever had an interest in it. Education was on the top of your priority list and you've excelled because of it. You have such beautiful memories, I can just picture the three of you listening to your parents (Juanita having a hard time sitting still and not cracking jokes). You have a beautiful family and it looks like all of the wonderful things your parents poured into you are trickling down to your little ones.

      Delete