Monday, July 11, 2016

Top 3 Networking Tips

It was about nine years ago when I took my first step onto the grounds of a writers' conference. It was in those early moments of overcoming the butterflies and navigating through the itinerary, when the most valuable tool was given to me. I've tucked it into my writing tool belt and I pull it out as needed. And as a result, God has opened the most amazing doors.

Cheri Williams was my ambassador of networking. She taught me the beauty of blowing a few workshops off for the sake of grabbing some real one-on-one time with the industry professionals. She invited me to join her for the late-night pow-wows in the lounge, where published authors would talk shop and agents would spill some of the best industry secrets. She taught me how to mingle a little. And would you believe that this introvert had fun doing it?

Here are three tips I've learned through the process of trying this whole thing out.

Be Yourself
I realized over time that hanging out in the lounge and pursuing conversations for the duration of the conference fried me. And I learned that it's okay. By conference end, I've always needed a good block of time afterwards where I am not required to engage in any way. Good friends and family members have recognized my signals (all of which include my inability to speak). And they have been so gracious to give me the space I need in order to unwind.

Be Available
It is important for us to to put a plan in place, but if God plops somebody down in front of you, toss the agenda and see what may come of it. Some of my most career-boosting conversations were spontaneous. This has left plenty of room for God to move.

Be Bold
Have your eyes open to every opportunity and don't be afraid to try new things. Creativity is nurtured through discovery. A lot of times I don't know I will enjoy something until I try it.

And as so many of my new writing friends have taught me, make it more about what you can give, rather than what you can take. Ask God how you can add value to the other person, and get ready to see Him respond with a heap of blessing.

How has networking contributed to your success? Do you have any tools you'd like to add to my belt?

No comments:

Post a Comment