Monday, August 29, 2016

A Distant Melody, by Sarah Sundin

Allie Miller fails to reach the standards her parents set, starting with her plain appearance and ending with her choice of a church. But when her marriage to Baxter is practically arranged, she feels strangled by the impending doom of a loveless happily-ever-after. Everything changes when she meets the real love of her life, Lt. Walter Novak. Feelings spark as they try and find deeper meaning to life's ups and downs through a series of letter-writing. Friendship escalates to more than that, but society's rules and a few misguided assumptions keeps either one of them from admitting it.

I was swept away by the story immediately. Sundin did an extraordinary job bringing the protagonist and her love interest together with genuine trepidation and the cordiality that would have fit this time period perfeclty. It was clear to me that this novel had been carefully researched, making me feel like I'd been dropped right into the World War II time period.


I found myself pulling for Allie and Walt all the way through. The cat and mouse of their romance was done with a great amount of integrity. This whole perspective was delightfully refreshing. Upon the turn of the last page, I was left with an ending that was well thought-out and satisfying. I would highly recommend this novel for anybody interested in taking a trip back to a time when a person's word still meant something.

No comments:

Post a Comment