Monday, May 16, 2016

Fallen Treasure

For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.
Romans 11:29

            “Daddy do you think it will still be there?” the little girl said while tugging on the end of her silver bracelet. She held tight to a small brown paper bag when she spoke.
            Her father looked down on golden strands that were pulled back into a ponytail. “I sure hope so,” he said. He stood on the curb of the parking lot with the strength of one brave enough to cart three of his little girls to the grocery store all by himself. The father looked both ways and carefully took his first step. Two of the girls followed while the third perched onto his left hip. She gripped the arm of his T-shirt with joyful vigor. The father nuzzled his nose into her soft locks and continued across the busy parking lot.
            I had just finished loading my own groceries into the back of our vehicle. The metal wheels of the cart rattled along the pavement as I traveled the exaggerated distance to find its designated spot. Thoughts of dinner plans and other evening items pulled on me after a long day. Just as I pondered the feel of a bubble bath, I heard it. One tiny coin hit the pavement, piercing through the dull roar of the parking lot. I turned back toward the little family. And then another fell, and another, until a flood of coins rained down around the father’s ankles, making a splashing sound with every bounce.
            I made no sudden movement, no noise really, and headed straight for the disaster. By now the young father was working to collect each coin, coaching his daughters to stay on the sidewalk while he worked with careful concentration. The job seemed insurmountable as drivers pulled their cars right up to the scene, clearly wanting to pass.
            The money wasn’t the reason I rushed over to help. Nor did it have to do with the disappointment of a little girl so much. It was the ache of a father that I connected with. As a parent myself, I understood how it felt to want to shield your child from that kind of disappointment. This was his daughter’s treasure and she was getting ready to cash in on her dream. He was determined to try and scoop up every coin he could.
            I worked as quickly as I could, but with a great amount of calmness. Each quarter, dime and nickel felt smooth and warm in my hand. The father chuckled a little with embarrassment and mumbled something about doubling the bag next time. And as I worked along side of another complete stranger, I felt something shift. We dropped the coins into the father’s cupped hands and his awkwardness was replaced with what looked to be deep gratitude. The man seemed amazed that somebody would care enough to stop and help.
            I don’t know what that little girl was set to buy with her savings that day. Perhaps there was a goldfish waiting for her at the pet store. Or maybe she’d finally saved up enough to buy a special necklace for her mom. Or perhaps she had her sights set on a month’s worth of bubble gum. But what I do know is that her father cared very much about making sure his little girl’s treasure would be collected and cashed in—at all costs.
            The Bible says that we have a Heavenly Father too. He cares very much about the things we treasure. Do you have a dream you’ve wanted to cash in but circumstances have made it feel impossible? Do you find pieces of it scattered at your feet with no way of gathering it all back up? If it’s something your Father has always intended to give you, rest assured. He will move the hearts of ordinary people and grant favor to help you when you least expect it.
            My dream is to become a best-selling novelist and to teach at writers' conferences all over the country. There, I said it. And it felt good to let a little of it spill out. 

            What about you? Do you have a dream you’ve been saving up for?


           
           


No comments:

Post a Comment