Monday, May 9, 2016

Traditional vs. Indie Publishing

When I arrived at my very first writers' conference back in the spring of 2009, I can remember feeling amazed by two things. One being the beauty of our backdrop in the Santa Cruz mountains and two being the myriad of possibilities for anybody who might be interested in pursuing this thing called publication.  

There were greeting card companies looking for the next tearjerker and devotional publications working to reach the entire globe. Among an array of mind-blowing workshops stood literary agents and book editors much like the giant redwoods—each one felt larger than life. But somehow I found the courage to actually speak to a few of them (after practicing on the trees). What I can remember back then, aside from having somebody I deemed important encourage me, was that the general consensus about self-publishing came to this. It was frowned upon.

There was a very good reason for this, so the professionals explained. Many authors who were not able to get their material considered by a traditional publisher, decided to go their own way. As a result, several books were self-published but because they didn’t have the touch of a professional editor or the influence of a literary agent, many of these works, well … they stunk.

That is not the case seven years later. As I’ve kept a toe dipped into this ever-changing industry, I’ve seen that self-publishing went from almost taboo to an acclaimed alternative for some writers. Indie publishing, I've learned, can mean one of two things. It can be referring to a smaller publishing house that acquires niche material. But the term has also been used for those individuals who have taken the self-publishing route. Can you see why it is so easy to get tangled up in all of this?

Indie publishing (in the context of self-publishing) has forged a new path for authors who have written a book that might not fit the mainstream market. The excellences with which these independent publishers work nowadays provide top-of-the-notch material close and even comparable to the books traditional publishers are cranking out.

I’ve gone back and forth on the issue, and most days I find myself still wavering. I value the effort of anybody who would be brave enough to sit down and write an entire book. And regardless of which path that book takes to find its typeset and shiny cover, there is a reader out there just waiting to be entertained and changed by it. The behind-the-scenes stuff really is God’s business anyway.

I completed my first novel in January. I had the privilege of presenting it in book proposal form to some of the important people among the giant redwoods, who in turn, asked to read the entire manuscript. I won’t lie, I am really hoping find a literary agent who will take me by the hand and lead toward the path of traditional publishing. It’s always been a dream of mine. But if my carefully placed words find a different means of completion, I know that I can trust that too.

There is so much that could be added to this subject. I’d love to hear your take on things. Are you a fan of traditional or indie publishing? And as a reader, does any of it matter to you?


4 comments:

  1. I think the Indie route is right for some writers. Some people like the "control" they have over their book and the whole project. They want to do their own marketing, which is what they'd be doing with a traditional publisher anyway. They like the opportunity to take more of the profits too. And the new ebook revolution has give them a huge advantage over those in past years. Others will tire of waiting for an agent or traditional publisher acceptance and go on their own. It's great to have choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, John. Choices can be a great thing for us as writers. You've set a good example of what it means to take control of your writing career by finding a niche or two and contributing with excellence. I'm amazed at how you're always looking to bring something new to the table.

      Delete
  2. This is all interesting to me. I have always enjoyed writing but never entertained the idea of publishing. Never ever! As a reader, honestly, there have been times I chose a book merely by the title alone or even sometimes the cover because I found it appealing in some way. It's one thing for me to have a book recommended and another thing all together to brouse around a book store and wait for the book to call to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made a really good point, Debbie. There is a lot that goes into the design of a book cover for that exact reason. Publishers try and make it appeal to the reader at first glance. You can sometimes even tell the genre of a novel simply by picking it up and looking at the cover. Cozy mysteries, for example, have a fun an quirky feel while regular mystery novels seem a little more daunting. I agree with you. The recommendation of a good book always has me searching for a particular title.

    ReplyDelete