Monday, June 27, 2016

A Collaborative Effort

One of the amazing things that came out of my time at PENCON, was the inspiration for my next project. There I sat, across the table from a seasoned editor, with pen and paper in hand ready to soak in every last detail, when it hit me. Ghostwriting. It was a familiar term, but not one I had ventured very far into. But as I listened to my new colleague and friend share about a woman who was looking for somebody to help write her book, I knew I was supposed to offer my services.

After getting home, I rushed over to the library to read everything I could find about ghostwriting. Writers Digest also had a great article on the topic. Then I took the leap and introduced myself to this budding author. She sounded very interested in moving forward, and I hit my knees for God's guidance. It's taken us some weeks to iron out the details, but this summer I will begin piecing this woman's book together so she can share it with the world.

I can't think of anything more exciting than to help somebody else tell their story. We've agreed to make this a collaborative deal, which was a new concept for me. It means that my name will still be on the book cover and title page as one who came alongside the author. But as far as the story goes, it will be all hers. Every word placed on the page will be a reflection of the way God showed up in her life. And I get to be a part of the process.

I will be attending a memoir-writing conference in the fall, as I think this format will suit her story best. My hope is to help guide my new client to a place of great success, and at the same time I will be building my own collaborative platform. One simple conversation in the scope of fifteen minutes brought about this amazing opportunity. I can't say enough about networking, and I will be posting about the benefits of it sometime soon.

Do you have a story inside of you that you'd like to share with the world? Perhaps you would benefit from the help of somebody like me who would love to help you tell it.

If so, let's talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment