Monday, June 13, 2016

Me Before You, by JoJo Moyes

The New York Times Bestseller list has been operating since October 12, 1931. At the start, the books that were showcased came out of the Big Apple. They were the only ones considered, and they consisted of five fiction and four non-fiction books. As time went on, more cities were included. In the 1950's, a trade news magazine named Publishers Weekly stood as a close second to all of the hype, and the two became the preeminent lists of best-selling books in the United States. 

Writers all over the world strive to be placed on such a coveted list. When one reaches such heights, I can imagine it feels very much like receiving a gold star of recognition, letting the whole world know that you have finally "made it."

I had the privilege of getting lost in one of the beauties recently, and I'd like to share my review with all of you. Me Before You, by JoJo Moyes was breathtaking. There is a reason this piece made it to such a regal list. This story took its place on the New York Times Bestseller list for seven weeks. There has even been a film made about it. I just had to see the movie, and did so about halfway through my reading. Experiencing the ending on the big screen first, I delighted in the crescendo! And finishing the last pages shortly after, I felt fully satisfied. I strongly encourage you to find time to enjoy both.

Here is my review. It has been posted on both Goodreads and Amazon

A delightful read right from the first page, Me Before You captured my empathy and my imagination, making me not want to put the book down. Will Trainer, a man with everything going for him, steps into the street one rainy morning, only to lose everything he's ever loved about his life.

Louisa Clark come to his aide by mere default, after losing the only job she's ever had. As the family's breadwinner for this particular season, Louisa finds herself wary of Will's disposition but desperate for the money. Long hours with nothing to do but skirt around Will's paraplegia force the two of them into transparent companionship. The long hours start to fade as Louise realized Will's true intent. She does everything in her power to try and change his mind. Her growing love for the man she's been hired to care for forges a deep and unforgettable connection between the two of them. This life-altering connection stirred deep emotion in me, and it ended up saving them both in every sense of the word.

I decided to see the film as well, and I was so pleased with the way every character brought vulnerability and life to the screen. I found myself very nearly falling in love myself. I would highly recommend this book for anybody brave enough to ask themselves the deer questions about life's meaning. This story will stay with me long after I've turned the last page, and I'm grateful for the perspective it gave me.

Have you read anything recently that made it to the New York Times Bestseller list? If so, was it worth recommending?


No comments:

Post a Comment